Saturday, September 02, 2006

Success!!!



I did something that I have been wanting to do for ages. I FINALLY climbed a 14er earlier. :) It was awesome! We climbed Mount Sherman-supposedly it is the easiest one in Colorado. I figured that would be a good place to start. :) We left the house about 8:00 in the morning. It wasn't too far away-about a 1.5 to 2 hour drive. It might be quicker, but the last half hour is a pretty bad washboard road, so you have to drive a little slow. From the picture, it kind of looks like a bunch of dirt, but it was actually a lot of loose rock which made for interesting climbing! We made progress of about 2,000 feet in elevation in approximately 2 hours. The summit was 14,065 feet. The highest I have ever been. The closest to the sky I have ever been. It was an amazing feeling to be so high and be able to see so much. I have come to the conclusion that one of the big reasons God created all of this stuff in nature is for us to realize how little we are-as humans. How insignificant life really can be in the big scheme of things.