Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Apathy

*Edit*-August 25
Woody, this company is a very legitimate one. I checked it out on Better Business Bureau and they are known for their honesty. They also have annual reports that you can check out to see hwo much of your money really goes to the kids. You get yearly picture and update of your sponsored kid and can also write them letters.

Maybe some of you have been praying about me and Africa next summer. Answered prayer! Already....I got the names of 3 orphanages in Africa from some missionaries that my church supports. I e-mailed them and I am waiting to hear back. Hooray!

So I think God has really been impressing some things on me. I just can't get needy people out of my head. I notice them around town and I keep coming up with verses in the Bible about helping them. Okay, so I have this desire to help, but what to do about it? I came across an interesting idea on a blog my Mom visits. Thirty days of going without the extras. How about sticking only to the necessary things as so many families in foreign countries are forced to do? I am such a spoiled person. Sometimes I feel like I have so many things and opportunities, and all these little kids in Africa, for example, are working really hard just to feed themselves and their families. So I like the idea of 30 days of nothing, but I still feel like I want to DO something. I want to go farther than just depriving myself of those fun extras.

So, some ideas: Continue sponsoring my World Vision boy, Kato, and encourage you guys to consider it also. Look here for more information. It is only $30.00 a month to give a little kid in places like Africa, Germany, or Romania access to better food, an education, and a future. But best of all, it introduces them to a Jesus that so desperately loves them and wants to be their friend. But it isn't just the kids that are affected. I get to write letters to the boy I support. Since he is in school right now, I have been corresponding with his mom (who is a single parent) and it has been great to talk to her and hopefully be an encouragement to her. At first it was hard for me to think of spending thirty bucks a month-at a point when I made very little a month-but then I realized two things. It is only one dollar a day. I can make that much a day somehow or maybe give up some ice cream each week to make that amount. So, I hope you guys will pray about it. If you do not want a long term committment, you can also find a place on the website to do things like buy a few chickens for a family or even seeds.

Also, I am going to check and see if a local Loaves and Fishes needs some help on one afternoon a week. This organization is like a halfway house that provides meals and clothes to those who need it. If you guys would like, you could pray that I may be able to help out in some way.

Also, I am trying to find a way to go on a mission trip this summer-hopefully to Africa to help out with orphaned kids-and maybe you guys could pray that I would find a way to do that. I don't have any connections that could help me get there. So far at least.... :)