Monday, October 30, 2006

Africa

Mrs. Clark asked me to share an update on what is up with Africa. Honestly, not a whole lot has happened since I last mentioned it. My missionary contacts are in the US right now, so they will be contacting me in November when they are in Uganda again. I got some figures on what the cost of the trip might be, and it looks like it will be an average of seven hundred dollars a month. This is not bad compared to many other missions organizations I have looked at. I am thinking about a two months, but that is certainly dependant on how much I can make. I am very excited to see how God will work all of this out. Usually, I make my money for the school semester over the summer, so I will really have to trust God to provide for me. After this semester though, I totally trust His abilities! :) I was contacted today by a member of the missions organization, telling me about a woman who was interested in traveling to Africa together. She is also going to be working at the Good Shepherd's Fold Orphanage, and her husband feels like he wants her to travel with someone. So, I may have a friend to travel with. I am sure that gives my parents some reassurance. :) Also, I get my passport on Thursday or Friday at school. There is a passport fair which I thank God for. Saves me a trip to the post office!

Real beauty: Check out this video! I am very happy to see that there may finally be some honesty about the fakeness of women in magazines and movies. It is sad to think that so many girls think all of that is real. That is the ideal, and what they strive to look like. The impossible. I wish we lived in a society where real beauty was valued. What about the beauty that is of great worth in God's sight? That of your inner self? What if we spent as much time cultivating that type of beauty as we do the surface beauty? How different would the world be?

Do not let your adornment be merely outward--arranging the hair, wearing gold, or putting on fine apparel rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God.

Sure, it is okay to have outer beauty, but I really think God finds a lot of value in the true beauty of a person's spirit. This verse has come to my attention once again. It is hanging on my wall, but as a permanent fixture, it often fades into the background. Once again, I want to ask God what things He wants me to change internally to be more like Him. After some thought, I came up with the following:

-As a person who struggles with being "shy" I guess you could call it, I often find myself in situations where I am uncomfortable around people. When it comes down to it, I realize that that feeling comes from selfishness. I am worried about how I look or what impression I am making. Rather, I want to focus on being a friend. How can I show God's love to someone? Probably, by getting over my fears and talking to someone.

-Trust. I want to learn to trust God more. Rather than freaking out when hard or uncertain times come up, I want to remember 1 Corinthians 2:9-"Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, the things which have entered into the heart of man, the things which God has prepared for them that love Him". I got this verse right when I needed it. I get so wacked out about things I am unsure of. There is the struggle between the things I've always thought I would do and the awesome unexpected. I get scared when I don't know which one will happen. But then I see this verse. I cannot even comprehend what God has in store.

-Understanding. I get so hurt by things. I forget that life happens and people are human. Just like me. God, give me strength to not take things so personally.