Sunday, September 10, 2006

9/11

It seems so long ago. It was a long time ago! Quite a few years. I was only 13. Did that day make me grow up faster? I remember I was vacumming. We didn't have TV, so we found out through a friend calling my Mom. We ended up going to her house to watch the news. I brought my math textbook to work on school. Honestly, I didn't quite get what was going on. Maybe it didn't make sense because it was just way too weird. It kind of scared me that so many adults were worried. Since when do adults not know what to do or say?

I don't think it struck me until a while down the road when I read what people who were in New York at the time had to say. It didn't strike me until I saw those pictures. The pictures of people jumping out of buildings to escape the fires. Yet I was still so detached from it. And I am actually thankful for that. I live in a small town. It seems like nothing much can happen to me here.

Even with a war going on, I am not affected by it. What happened to the days of Victory Gardens and knitting socks for soldiers. Sometimes I wish I was closer to the crisis, so it would mean more to me.

I still wonder if those event made me "get older" faster. Once again, I remember what I was doing when something drastic happened. I remember watching a Batman movie-the one with Penguin in it-when the President declared war. That scared me! What? A war? This had never happened in a time when I could remember. I went to bed and turned on the radio, trying to fiugre out if it was ever going to come close to me. Would it ever cross the ocean and hurt me or my family somehow? I guess that's how my mind worked that many years ago.

I still can't believe I was alive those days. I think that is one of the things that grandkids will ask about. So, where were you when the towers were attacked. What were you doing when the war was going on? What was the oil problem like? Wow, I was actually alive when it happened.