Saturday, February 04, 2006

My Alternative

Thanks to everyone for the discussion that has been given. I have never gotten so many....large comments. :) I realize that everyone has differing opinions and convictions. I would like to restate once again that the things I am saying are my convictions, and obviously may not be yours. I appreciate the way everyone has been polite in their opinions. It makes things so much better. So, please keep commenting and telling me what you guys think!

As I was talking about last time, I have decided not to date. Rather, I have decided to "court". I guess in thinking about it, it is a little hard to define, but I will certainly do my best. First, I really think it would be great for me and my "future guy" to be friends first. I just want to get to know the person without any guy/girl stuff that gets in the way of this process. Eventually, if we both feel like we might be the right people for each other, we would start courting. I would like the guy to approach my Dad and ask for permission-yeah, I know it sounds old fashioned and I have heard many say this is very intimidating for a guy. I am just glad I am not the guy. :)

Anyway, during this period of courting, we get to know each other even more through things like spending time with each other's families and service projects. Rather than being together exclusively all the time, I think it would be better to get to know each other while with each other's families. This has two benefits. One, my family is an "outside perspective" that can help me see if this is the right guy or not. Second, this will reduce the chances of any situations that can come up when a guy and a girl are alone together often. If you know what I mean. :) Another way I think it is great to spend time with the person is through service type projects-teaching a Sunday School or teenagers' class together, for example. A third reason these ways to spend time together can be good is that it offers a dose of reality. Rather than isolating ourselves in some "romantic world", I think we should get used to doing things together that we would be doing together normally. Also, these types of things-being around people and families helps to show a person's true character.

More later!