Saturday, August 05, 2006

Books

Edit: Rabenstrange: I have sat down to write different things several times before. I have tried several types of writing including historical fiction and some sort of fiction that has philosophical ideas in it. However, I realize that it would probably be smart to start with something I am more comfortable with. A kind of fictionalized autobiography. Or maybe even an autobiography. I would use a pen name, however...:) I just have so many notebooks already filled with the information, and I have a kind of sarcastic sense of humor in the essays and stuff I write, so I think it would come fairly naturally. I am just a little confused as to how to start. I guess just dive right in, right? :)

Kim: Thank you so much for the book reccommendation. I am adding it to my list to read for sure!


1. One book that changed your life
"All Quiet on the Western Front". It really opened my eyes to the horrors of war and made me realize that it really should be used only as a completely last resort.

2. One book that you’ve read more than once
The James Herriot books which I read over and over. I love them! I would love to be him. He is with animals a lot and he just finds humor in nearly every situation.

3. One book you’d want on a deserted island
A dictionary. I could really expand my vocabulary, and it would take a very long time to get through the whole thing.

4. One book that made you laugh
"James and the Giant Peach". I read this a million times when I was younger, and the little songs the centipede sings are GREAT!

5. One book that made you cry
"Where the Red Fern Grows". What poor boy has two of his best friends-dogs he worked for-die. It sucked!

6. One book that you wish had been written
I want to write one. Someday.

7. One book that you wish had never been written
I don't understand the whole "Pride and Prejudice" craze. Probably mostly because I hate that society. If a movie is in that time era, I don't generally watch it. So, the writing style is excellent, and Jane Austen was an amazing person, but I was the only one in my lit class that didn't like it.

8. One book that you are currently reading
I am currently reading "East of Eden" (I was told it was even better than "Grapes of Wrath".) and "The Feminine Mystique". Yeah, still.


9. One book you’ve been meaning to read
Oh, I have a whole notebook of books to read. However, I have literally started "Heart of Darkness" three times, and just can't get into it. Someday I will finish it. I will!