Thursday, October 30, 2008

The Weirdness of Everyday Life

So, a blog is about writing about your everyday life, right? Okay, so my everyday life. I cannot remember if I mentioned the new project we are doing in micro. We get a tube with two unknown bacterial cultures in it. We have to isolate them and then identify them based on different tests we perform in lab. And because I am weird, I have decided to blog about it as I go. He he...maybe some poor soul will be inspired to be a medical technologist.
So, first we take the tube and use a loop to streak out on an isolation plate. The point of this is to get colonies to grow. Theoretically, each colony is a pure clone and we can separate the two bacterial types. Well, there are several of us in lab that have grown colonies but can see no difference in colony morphology. Hmm...The solution has been to take a few random samples of the colonies, look at them under the microscope and hope they differ up close. So, I did that and I believe I have a gram positive and gram negative both rod shaped. Gram negative and gram positive are distinguished by a method called gram stain. The difference comes about because of the cell wall of the bacteria. Anyway, I took these colonies and streaked them out on separate TSA plates, so my gram negative and gram positive-once again theoretically-are on separate media. From here, I can do my tests to determine the classification. I plan on going in early tomorrow morning before class and trying to get this done.

As far as "normal" life goes, I am studying for a physics test. Wait, I take that back. I am blogging when I should study for a physics test. :) After that, the agenda includes studying for a biochemistry test and doing micro homework. Talking about all of that inspires me to get off the internet and get down to business. :)

By the way, I think life would be way cooler if I was in a middle eastern country like someone I know..... :)

Labels: