Thursday, June 15, 2006

More Music!



I have more music! I have been having way too much fun with music lately. It is my new fascination. I love the feeling of a new favorite song! I play my favs over and over so often, I get tired of them pretty quickly. But that is when it is time to move on to a new song. :)

Interestingly enough, Plato proposed an idea that certain music should be banned because he believed in the ethos of music. This theory postulates that music has the ability to arouse intense emotion-particularly pity or sorrow. Due to the music's power to cause these feelings, Plato thought that only certain kinds-kinds that were conducive to the well-being of Greece. Interesting thought!

*Edit* Comment by Carissa: "Music is so interesting and amazing. I mean, I got this awesome new cd and the music was so inspiring that I found myself writing much more meaningful thank-you notes when I was listening to it.

Have you ever listened to a song that elisited such emotion within you that you felt like you weren't even on earth anymore? That if you just opened up your eyes you would be in a completely different world?

Okay, maybe that's just me but I tend to see Plato's point. If someone did figure out how to censure music they could just play a certain song whenever they wanted us to be passionate or angry or joyful. Kind of a scary thought.

However, Plato was agianst all that. He believed in his "Republic" no one should be to emotional. That to much emotion would not allow any room for rational thinking."

Okay, so it raises an interesting question. Obviously Plato's dilemna was one of the emotions of human beings clouding rational thought. I agree wholeheartedly that we should not let that get in the way of logical thinking. However, I think God created human beings to have those feelings-love, hate, anger, joy. We would be mindless robots if we did not feel anything. For a authoritative figure to dictate when and how we feel those things is a very scary thought! To look at it from the other direction, I believe that one needs to learn to control their emotions. A person can certainly take feelings to far. To base decisions solely off that will certainly get an individual in trouble!