Sunday, December 18, 2005

Do I Have To Grow Up?

It is a scary thought-growing up/becoming an adult. It is such an odd prospect to think that I am done being a kid. No more braces, no more days where school takes me an hour, no more ignorance concerning money or politics. It is so weird when I think back to when I was little. I remember about nine or ten years ago. It was a few days until my birthday and a package had come from my Grandpa and my Mom said I could not open it until my actual birthday. I went out to my swing and pretended I was a poor deprived little girl. Those were the types of problems I used to have. My biggest ones were like that. Not anymore....
Or I remember when the littlest things would make me so excited. Once when we were at Wal-Mart I helped a really tall lady (She must have seemed so tall because I was so short.) get a cart from an area that was really low. I was able to duck in and get one for her. Because of that she gave me five dollars. What a fortune, huh? Well, that is what I thought. Right away I knew exactly what I wanted: Pound Puppies. That must have been my main joy in life when I was seven. I still have all eighty-five that I bought when I was younger.
Now I realize that it is time to be a responsible adult. Go to university, eventually move out and support myself, get married, and maybe someday have kids. My first inclination is to be kind of scared about all of this coming up so fast. But if I can look at it in a better and more positive way, I realize how exciting it actually is. How exciting that I have so many opportunities waiting for me. There are so many things that are out there for me to experience. How cool that I am ready to start training for the job I have wanted since I was little. How cool that I have the priviledge to take care of myself and make my own decisions. How cool that someday I will-maybe :)-find an awesome guy to marry. And how cool that someday I will have kids to love.
So, even though all this can sound scary at times, I just have to remember two things. First, I want to remember how exciting the future is. There are so many awesome things ahead of me. And, second, I remember how God has everything planned out. What a relief! He knows exactly what is in store for me. "' For I know the thoughts and plans I think towards you', says the Lord, 'thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope '". This fact seems to make everything so much easier to handle! :)